Monday, July 14, 2008

The Circle of Life


But in all seriousness...catching up on a couple of blogs yesterday made me realise what will be both one of the best and at the same time, one of the worst things about homesteading - life and death. While one blogger was distraught at the loss of a number of her animals from dog attacks, another was enjoying the wonderful birthday present of a couple of donkey births. It's one of those things that makes you take off the rose coloured glasses for a while.

Something I will happily admit is that I DO have all these romantic notions of homesteading and self sufficiency although a part of me also knows it will be hard work and a total b*tch at times. A day like this however, makes me stop and consider the downsides and how I would realistically deal with the losses, the deaths, the sorrow that comes with all the joy. I suppose the trick is just to focus on the good things and remember that everything changes, from good to bad and back again.

As someone who has depression, staying positive is something I have had to force myself to do in order to stay (relatively) sane and I don't doubt it is something I will have to work hard at once we have our bit of land. Luckily I am a naturally optimistic person (except when I fail to take my meds - oops!) so I hope I will be ok. If all else fails, I will try to always have at least one animal pregnant so I will have cute fluffy babies to look forwards to :)

No comments: