Sunday, October 12, 2008

A New Job and Getting Creative

After getting completely and utterly sick of working for a typical small business and being stuck in an office 5 days a week, I decided recently that it was time for a change. I started looking for something that would get me moving around, outside more, and be truly worth while. I hit the jackpot! As of this past week I am now a Personal Carer and am loving it. I have met some lovely old ladies and heard some wonderful stories, but most of all, I am making a difference. It makes me feel so good knowing that by going into these peoples homes, helping them with tasks like showering and dressing, meal preparation and housework, they are able to stay in the comfort of their own homes instead of having to go into a nursing home or hospital. The only down side is that with all the driving around I am doing, I am using far more fuel than before when the car got used once or twice a month. One of the big pluses is that I have had more time for myself and my home because I am not spending 2.5 hours a day on public transport! It is already making me feel far more relaxed and I am feeling like I have more time to get creative.

There isn't much that needs doing in the garden at the moment, it is all just growing and growing and growing some more! Instead I have been spending more time inside, painting the bedroom and bathroom ceilings and doors (for some strange reason the previous owners painted the whole house, but left all the doors the original ugly dark brown wood paneling), looking for free clothing patterns online as nothing in the shops ever seems to fit right, and getting started with scrapbooking. So far I have the actual scrapbook, some card stock and a few embellishments but not quite enough to get properly started. It certainly isn't a cheap hobby but I love the idea of preserving our familys memories in such a beautiful way.

I will update later with some pics of the garden in all its flowering thriving glory :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you!! And among those ladies there's sure to be one with an interest and/or memories of growing, just like you!

Unknown said...

it is GOOd to see the tomatoes and lemon grow up....you really like in gardening